COMPETING on the X FACTOR is stressful enough but contestant Scarlett Lee has more important things to worry about this week than her song choice.
The popular singer’s brother Benjamin, his wife Sharon and their four young children were lucky to be alive yesterday after their home burned to the ground.
The dad — who was treated in hospital suffering from smoke inhalation — was forced to escape with his family through the windows of their mobile home as the flames took hold.
Devastated Scarlett, who is being mentored by Simon Cowell, is thought to have been in her neighbouring caravan when the blaze took hold at around 7.30am near Epsom, Surrey.
The make-up artist took to Instagram in the midst of the fire, asking her new fans: “Please can everyone keep my family in their prayers. God knows the situation.”
The fire — which neighbours described as “terrifying” — is believed to have been started by an electrical problem. It took six fire crews more than four hours to put out and left only charred remains.
A source said: “Scarlett has been terribly upset. It’s come as a real shock to both her and her family.
“It’s beyond devastating for everyone. They’re all so thankful that no one was seriously hurt but Scarlett’s brother Ben was taken to hospital after breathing in smoke
“Scarlett’s taken time away from rehearsals this week to be with him and the rest of her loved ones who, according to fire crew, are all lucky to be alive.
“They have been left with absolutely nothing from the blaze, with firefighters only able to recover a few photographs from the wreckage.”
On Saturday night’s live show Scarlett wowed judges Robbie Williams, Louis Tomlinson and Ayda Field with her rendition of Elvis’ Always on my Mind.
The ordeal will certainly put some future X Factor contestants’ sob stories into context.